Osprey Fishing at Dolyd Hafren in September 2019

I recently visited a  new to me Nature Reserve called Dolyd Hafren, it's about 25 miles from Shrewsbury and not too far from the village of Forden just over the Welsh / English border. For the interested amongst you all the post code is SY21 8NN but there is still a bit of work to do when you get there as the reserve is about half a mile from the postcode and you have to go off road down a potholed tractor track to get there. It's okay at the moment but I doubt if it's accessible by anything other than a 4x4 during the Winter. Dolyd Hafren I'm told is the place to go if you want to photograph Hares which in principle was what I went for.  I don't think too many people visit this reserve as it is quite a walk from the car park to the first and second hide, the hides are elevated and this is probably because the site floods in the Winter.

Luckily for me I met a couple of people in the Car Park who suggested that the second hide is the better of the two for Photography.  The second hide affords uniterupted views accross the River Severn and to my surprise there is also an Osprey nesting pole that is very close to the hide, there is not an Osprey currently nesting on it but there is always next year.


My kit consists of an Eos 7d MK1 and a Sigma 100-300mm EX DG F4 with a Sigma 1.4 Convertor. I got myself settled in the hide and then had the surprise of my life when an Osprey took off from a position from within the reserve and started to attempt to fish. Unfortunately the Osprey was a bit too far away to get any decent shots but these are just for the record and cropped and post processed.

The Osprey was onsite for about  two hours and then left with a Trout in it's talons , I'm amazed how the Osprey tolerated the constant mobbing of the resident crows. Before anyone asks I've checked on the computer to see if the Osprey had a ring on it's leg but it hasn't.

For the record I made two visits to the reserve one on the 30th of August and one on the 3rd of September and both times I was able to watch the Osprey fishing and Photograph it not a bad days work. Please check out my website www.biggsphotography.co.uk for my current Osprey Portfolio

Comments

Popular Posts